Sunday, March 25, 2007

Oregon Coast Spring Training 3/25

DATE: March 25, 2007
ROUTE: South Bank Chetco River
DISTANCE: 30 miles
TIME: 2 hours 15 minutes
CEG: 1800 feet
WEATHER: perfect 60s sunshine


This morning I headed to Brookings, only 6 miles north. Brookings has a population of 6000, most of whom make their living by fishing, teaching, or catering to tourists. The temperate climate allows the startling sight of azaleas and camillas blooming in the shade of stately palms.

I had to ride on 101 just to cross the border, then was able to take Sea View Drive west of the highway. At Brookings, I cycled east up the beautiful Chetco River on South Bank Road. After the first mile of suburban neighborhoods and light traffic, I found myself on a lovely mountain road next to the river. It repeatedly ascended the bluffs then dropped to the river. The road eventually became a paved lane which finally turned to gravel --- where I turned around. This is my favorite kind of training road: rolling hills with diverse and spectacular scenery.

I arrived back at the cabin with plenty of time for an afternoon hike along the Oregon coast north of Brookings.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

No comments: