Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oregon Coast Spring Training 3/29

DATE: March 29, 2007
ROUTE: Redwood Loop
DISTANCE: 52 miles
TIME: 4 hours 10 minutes
CEG: 2400 feet
WEATHER: 60s sunshine


I saved the best for last: cycling through the Redwoods. The morning air was warm and the wind was light. Everything was sparkling (and almost dry) after the storm. I rode the now familiar road south to Crescent City and followed the signs east to Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. It was established in 1929 and comprises 10,000 acres of mostly old growth redwood along the wild and scenic Smith River. The park has been designated as a World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Reserve. The entrance to the park is at the top of Howland Hill, a formidable 2 mile climb. It took me 30 minutes in my lowest gear wobbling along at 1.9 mph. The next 6 miles of road was hard-pack dirt with occasional sections of mud. This offered interesting challenges on a road bike. I stopped at the Stout Grove and strolled the 1 mile loop along the Smith River past the largest (circumference) Redwood yet discovered. I turned west at the tiny village of Hiouchi and followed the north bank of the Smith River until I reached the Pacific. A few quick miles along the ocean and I was back at the cabin. In the late afternoon Jon and I hiked another portion of the Oregon Coast Trail, and actually walked over one of the amazing arches to a spectacular view point.


more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey mrs. renner!!!
i just want to let u know that everything is going very well with our sub!! you told me u wanted to know how i did at my big running race so in the 1500 i got pushed and all scraped up so that race did not go well but in my 800 i did very well getting 1st 6th grader and scratching 6 seconds off my time!!!
well have a great bike trip and be safe!!
brit