Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday June 22, 2007

 

DATE: June 22, 2007
ROUTE: Kuressaare, Estonia to Jurkane, Latvia
DISTANCE: 62 miles
TIME: 4h 30 m
CEG: 500’
WEATHER: clouds, sun, overcast 70s

We had a quick breakfast at 7am and everyone was on the road by 7:30am. No dawdling … the ferry leaves at 10am. We had 28 miles and passport control to negotiate, which normally wouldn’t be a big deal. But a head wind or a flat tire, or a head wind and a flat tire, could cause serious problems. The road was smooth and flat. Everyone made it with time to spare. After a four-hour ferry ride and a wait for entry to Latvia, we were on our bikes again. It was 2:30pm with 34 miles ahead. The weather mostly cooperated with only a moderate head or crosswind to slow us down. This part of Latvia is very rural. Even though we rode the main road south, there was very little traffic.

I arrived at the hotel at 5:30pm which left plenty of time to have a Diet Coke and pursue the stork out back.


more pictures
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Judy Class of '66 said...

Elizabeth,

The post picture was a hoot. You'll have to explain the carving/statue some time in the future. I am enjoying your posts. Thanks for the info. about the company. I wondered how they set it all up for you. My only experience with cycling is serving people for Reach the Beach, the American Lung Association fundraiser, where over 2000 cyclists participate and seem to stop in Sheridan for snacks. I'm really enjoying seeing your joy in your adventure.

No need to reply. Just wanted to let you know that I for one am loving this vicarious adventure.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Renner!
I love the picture! It is hysterical! Where is it? Once again I wish I could go every wher you are going, it would be so fun. When I come to visit Cascade you will have to explain some of your pictures. Well have fun and I'll see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth---You've got your clothes on???!!!LOve, Mama

Unknown said...

hi

thank you for your blog. I am about to do the same ride in two weeks. and your blog was very helpful.