Monday, June 18, 2007

Monday June 18, 2007



DATE: Monday June 18, 2007
ROUTE: Palmse - Tallinn
DISTANCE: 60 miles
TIME: 5h 20m
CEG: 915’
WEATHER: moderate headwind - sun to drizzle to rain

We are dark deprived. Our room last night had a skylight without a shade. Jane awakened at 2am, and, since she couldn’t get back to sleep, read by natural light. It’s such a strange experience to not have night. I’m so glad I not here in the winter to live without light. As the world turns, and as we head south, we should get some dark. Keep tuned ….

Today we spent 90% of our ride on rural roads. The sun left us at about 5 miles, the high overcast turned to drizzle at about 40 miles, the drizzle turned to rain at about 50 miles, and we were soaked and shivering by the time we arrived at the hotel. Tallinn is a gorgeous city gracing the Baltic. It would have been a breathtaking entrance if the sun had been out. Our route took us through old town and over cobblestone streets --- a bit treacherous in the rain. I negotiated the final 10 miles alone, through a teaming industrial area with huge trucks spaying water and grime, down a blessed bike path edging the harbor, beside the stone wall and under the arch of Old Town, and finally to the hotel. Jane always arrives enough ahead of me to take her shower so I was able to clean up immediately.

And now a rest day tomorrow to enjoy the city!


more pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up with you in Tallin. I loved Tallin, and heard some great singing there. Famous for some choral singing festivals, I think I remember. I'm enjoying your blogs. This is a real adventure, no?
Craig and I are bound for the Sylvia Beach Hotel for our 34th anniversary tomorrow.
Take care and remember life is good! Love, Sally