Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturday June 23, 2007

  DATE: June 23, 2007
ROUTE: Jurkalne, Latvia to Klaipeda, Lithuania
DISTANCE: 102 miles
TIME: 7h 20m
CEG: 500’
WEATHER: rain with headwind then sun

We all knew this was going to be a big day. The previous two days had been tough, though not because of the distances we had cycled. The ferry rides, though peaceful and a wonderful change of pace, made late our arrival times at the hotels. Washing our clothes, showering, getting prepared for the next day, and enjoying a beer in the company of fellow riders takes 2-3 hours. If time, we also do a little exploring of the local area. Then dinner, bed, and it starts again. So we knew the 100+ miles facing us, plus a border crossing, would take mental determination as well as physical endurance. But we didn’t know it would rain for 60 miles and that the wind would work against us the entire way.

It could have been worse. I played that game for long stretches on the slick, pot-holed, sometimes treacherous road. I also played the game of “I’m OK, it’s just my feet that are soaked”, then ”I’m OK, it’s just my legs that are soaked”, then ”I’m OK, it’s just my shorts that are soaked” --- you get the picture. At the same time I was also looking for some perceivable lightness in the sky to give me hope of. Finally I just accepted the miserable situation and found a twisted pleasure in just watching my feet go round and round.

I was positive I was the last of our group when Rick Price and Jon and Reed Caldwell startled me out of my reverie. Under Rick’s welcome direction, the 4 of us formed a pace line that upped my forward progress form 10 mph to 14 mph. Their presence also provided some welcome company and a connection to reality. I had been fantasizing about the mythical powers of the pervasive storks and their potential ability to lead me to the promised land --- Lithuania.

Good things started coming our way --- slowly but surely. The rain lessoned, then ceased. We stopped at a grocery store in Liepaja for provisions. I watched the bicycles and stood in the weak sunshine trying to dry out. We also captured Jane and made her a contributing member of our formidable team. At 70 miles we came upon the van. Monica had snacks and good news: our distance was 5 miles shorter than expected and there was sunshine and good roads in Lithuania. The border crossing went without incident (after Rick put his camera away) and we entered Brigadoon/Lithuania. Sunshine and flowers. Everyone celebrating the summer solstice. Bright skirts, happy families, weddings, everything and everyone, including the cars, sporting flowers. John presented flowers to Jane and me and we rode the final 15 miles in style.

And best of all, this was Reed’s first century! He, his dad, and his brother will leave us in Warsaw. I enjoy their company so much and I will miss them terribly when they are gone. Having these “boys” with us adds a fresh dazzle to the group. Reed leaves in the fall for med school in Granada. So being part of his century “team” was a thrill.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And yet another inspiring log. I am so glad that you have not mentioned a flat yet. Those new tires must be worth their extra weight. hat a women. C and I chickened out on a Barlow trail 100 miler because of rain, came home, rode to Prinville in beautiful sunshine. Glad you weren't with us, you'd probably insisted on us riding: rain or not. Life is good. s