Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday June 29, 2007

 

DATE: Friday June 29, 2007
ROUTE: Warsaw
DISTANCE: Rest Day
TIME:
CEG:
WEATHER:

Today I’ve personally experienced the bureaucratic frustration that the Poles live with every day. As I have already sheepishly mentioned, I left my hot/cold weather bicycle clothes in a drawer in St Pete. I purchased a light-weight jacket in Tallinn and borrowed a pair of leg warmers from Monica. But, because I fear I will need my sun shirts, I asked Jon to send them to me here in Warsaw. Just contact FedEx and pay the shipping. What could be easier. How wrong I was! The package should have arrived at the hotel a week ago and been waiting for me at the desk. Not to be. After making sure the hotel hadn’t tucked it away in a back corner, I called Jon. He started the hunt from his end by tracking the package to Polish Customs. There it sits … gathering dust for the previous week. Numerous phone calls, numerous dead ends, much frustration ensued. Jon sent me the tracking number and the phone number for FedEx here in Warsaw. I would have to continue the hunt from here.

After breakfast this morning I asked Ela and Seco to call Customs and see about my package. After going round and round all day I still don’t have it. Here is an example of the way things work: Seco calls FedEx and gets the number for Customs. Three connections later he finally talks to the right agent. The agent faxes paperwork to the hotel for me to fill out. I can’t fill it out correctly without calling Jon for more information --- and it’s 2am in Sisters. Banjo hears the telephone and awakens Jon with his barking. I get the information, complete the paperwork, and fax it back to Customs. Seco calls to confirm the receipt of the fax. The agent is busy but will call back. He never does. I need not go on because it’s just more of the same. BUT, each connection with a person takes about 15 calls. Seco will dial the phone number and will get a busy signal, continual ringing, or a message that says the number is out of service. At some point a real person answers and Seco is given a new person to call. Fifteen more tries until he gets through. He says that this is not unusual at all. Seco has been by my side through all of this hassle because everything is in Polish and he needs to translate. What a prince! Here’s how it stands: Customs will release the package but can’t possibly do it today. I filled out more paperwork to give Seco permission to pick up my package. He will fetch it tomorrow and bring it to me Sunday when he joins us in Sandomierz. At least that’s the plan. I’m a little embarrassed to have taken up so much of his time but extremely grateful for his help.

Thank goodness for mobile phones! The package search was conducted during a very informative lecture on the history of Poland and a walking tour of the Old Town. During the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, more than 85% of Warsaw’s historic center was totally destroyed by Nazi troops. I’m talking about ashes --- little remained. Our guide, Margo, showed us pictures of the city before WWII and after the destruction. Piles of rubble, that’s what was left. After the war, a 5 year reconstruction campaign by its citizens resulted in today’s meticulous restoration of Old Town, with its churches, palaces, and market-place. Look at the pictures --- you’d never guess that this city is only 50 years old. I can’t express my wonder at the strength and resilience of the Polish people.

Rick Price, founder and owner of ExperiencePlus, will also leave us this weekend. It’s been a treat having him along. His good humor and adventurous spirit are unflagging.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

NumberXGuy said...

Isn't that annoying? That's foreign countries for you.

Well, I hope you will get some better luck in the future, this is an amazing trip your own. Don't quit like those four you mentioned. I wish you MORE good luck.
~Matthew
(p.s. my blog is here)

Sally said...

Back from my daughterly duties in FL checking on Mother's condo, and just catching up with your trip. Weather!!! Whew! Makes me excited about cycling, and you've seen and experienced some great places. Every day is an adventure, verdad? Take care and continue to carpe diem! Sally