Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday June 28, 2007

 

DATE: Thursday June 28, 2007
ROUTE: Pultusk, Poland to Warsaw, Poland
DISTANCE: 48 miles
TIME: 4h 30m
CEG: 100’
WEATHER: 59 degrees Wind SSW Overcast

Yep, that’s me in Warsaw --- hard to believe! We’ve cycled 831 miles through 6 countries. The weather has been a challenge. Out of 13 days, 4 have been optimum conditions, 3 have been OK, and 6 have been the kind of weather that would keep a sane person inside reading a book. But we’ve had quite an adventure and feel like we really are on an expedition.

Yesterday my log was rather brief so I’ll add just a few more words. Many of the rural roads that we’ve traveled in Poland are lined with stately trees. On a lovely stretch when there was a break in the wind all was silent --- then I heard the call of a Cuckoo bird. This is a first for me! The fertile fields are planted in corn and wheat. This is a beautiful country. The adults are serious and determined. Everyone works hard. You see resolute faces and hear little laughter. But, and this is so different than in Russia, when I ride past on my recumbent, the people stop, stare, and encourage me with smiles and exclamatory comments. It’s really quite remarkable. Several groups of boys on bicycles rode along beside me. One young man kept me company for a couple of miles. This is the most attention my bike and I have received so far. (I wonder what will transpire in Hungary.) The roads are narrow and have no shoulders. Big trucks, farm equipment, and busses comprise most of the traffic. There are relatively few cars in the rural areas where we’ve been cycling. Without exception, all drivers have been polite and patient --- willing to share the road with us. Refreshing!

Everyone decided to cycle in to Warsaw rather than to ride in the van or take the local bus. We were a little wary of the weather and the traffic --- the experience of entering Kaliningrad still fresh in our minds. But the wind was less strong, the air a little warmer, and Seco assured us we would not be in heavy traffic for very long. So we set off optimistically, and we were not disappointed.

Let me explain about the “Green Door”. Bathrooms are not readily available on our route, however, trees, bushes and tall corn are. When you feel the need, you look for the “Green Door”. I was riding this morning with Nancy who prides herself on never needing the Green Door. I, however, have lots of experience finding the perfect spot --- private and suitably decorated with flowers and foliage. I told Nancy that I would need to stop and she surprised me by saying she needed to use the Green Door as well. To be brief --- she got herself in to a clump of nettles and came out of the woods shouting in pain and outrage. I administered some first aide, the van miraculously arrived with cortisone cream, Michele dug the mud out of her cletes, and we were on our way. Nancy swears she will not use the Green Door the rest of the trip!

The route in to Warsaw was cleverly devised to keep us out of traffic most of the way. Seco, a native of Warsaw, put us on bike paths and service roads much of time in the city. His arrows were timely and clear. We arrived at the hotel in great spirits --- but too early for our rooms to be ready. We congregated in the comfortable lobby --- some drinking beer, some eating food, everyone having a good time. A good friend of Bill’s joined us. Ela lives in Naples, Florida but is originally from Poland. She planned a visit to her family here in Warsaw to coincide with our arrival. She and her sister had dinner with the group. I look forward to knowing her better in the next few days.

Four of the group are leaving the tour. The Caldwells and Doug Coats will be heading home in the next few days. I will really miss the energy and spirit they bring to the collective personality of the group. I’ve spent a lot of riding time with the Caldwells and will notice their absence at the back of the pack with me. We honored them at dinner with well wishes and a mighty cheer. I wish them good luck in their future endeavors.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

No comments: