Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday June 13, 2007



Wednesday
June 13, 2007
St. Petersburg

Another beautiful day! We spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon with a guide at the Hermitage. Visiting this art museum has been on my “wish list” for at least 1000 years. To see this astounding collection in the home of the czar’s Winter Palace intensified the experience. In 1917 the Provisional Government met for the very last time in the green-pillared Malachite Hall before being arrested in the adjacent dining room. The building faces Palace Square where the Bolshevik forces assembled before storming the palace. And here we were, assembled before meeting our very personable and knowledgable guide. The crowds were disconcerting and oppressive, especially around the two exquisite Da Vinci Madonna’s. In high season, 30,000 people visit this museum a day! Jane, Marjorie, and I took a short break for water and a snack, then climbed to the third floor to see the Impressionist collection. We expected it to me crowded as well. We were delighted to be in rooms of Monet, Pissaro, and Renoir with only one or two other people! We could stand in the center of the room and see all the paintings just by pivoting in a circle. It was both relaxing and exhilarating.

We boarded the correct bus for the ride back to the hotel. I took a short nap and met some of the group in the hotel bar. I had a delicious cup of borsch for dinner then looked at my watch. To my amazement, it was already 10pm! We will have more and more light for 7 more days. St Pete has a huge celebration called White Knights --- I’m glad I will be somewhere in Estonia that is less frenetic.

more pictures

No comments: