Friday, July 6, 2007

Friday July 6, 2007


DATE: Friday July 6, 2007
ROUTE: Spisska Stara Ves to Liptovsky Jan
DISTANCE: 67 miles
TIME: 6h 50m
CEG: 4700’
WEATHER: overcast, drizzle, rain, wind, one sun ray

This was a hard day for me. It wasn’t the climb or the distance. It wasn’t the cold or the rain. It was the wind: tormenting, debilitating, relentless. The two ascents would have been challenging under the best of circumstances. But with a 35-40mph wind, it was a sometimes a struggle to stay on the road. I spent a lot of time under 5mph. If it hadn’t been for the gorgeous scenery, this would have been a discouraging day.

The talk at dinner was about our encounter with the gypsies. We passed through a gypsy village on the lower slopes early in our route. By that time I was the last of the group and essentially alone. I knew almost immediately that the people of this village were very different than any we had previously encountered. The inhabitants were all in their yards or in the street in spite of the drizzle. The men looked menacing, the women looked disapproving, and the children were wild and undisciplined. I went through the village as fast as I could, though the road was ascending and I could only muster about 8mph. I was shocked to hear Jane’s story when I finally made it to the hotel. She had been accosted by a band of 12 children. They unzipped her bike pack and took her camera, money, credit card, banana, and Snickers Bar. She got off her bicycle and somehow got them to return her camera and her credit card. Mary and Bill also had encounters --- Mary was pushed off her bicycle and Bill had is tool kit taken. I don’t know how or why I made it through the gauntlet unscathed. Ondrej and Monica tell us that integrating the gypsies is a huge problem in Eastern Europe, especially in Slovakia and Hungary. If we cycle through more gypsy villages, we will try not to attract their attention and try to stay in groups.

more pictures

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snow in the mountains? And we're here with 90 degree weather. Not too sure which would be better. The river raft was great though I'm not too sure I'd want to shoot the rapids on one of them. And cycling with a scyth..that could result in interesting problems. Not many pictures with auto's. How refreshing. Being last in a group may have it's advantages, the Gypsies were tired of looting by the time you came through and maybe they felt sorry for you because of your odd bike.....

NumberXGuy said...

As soon as you said Gypsies, the celtic song you taught us 6th Graders played through my head. "The gypsy rover came over the hill/down through the valley so shady..."
Anyway, I hope some of that wind would come our way! We've had nothing but 90°, even 100° weather, and last night a thunderstorm because of it!
So, I wish you on a wonderful trip!
From Matthew
(p.s. my blog is here. Anyone here is welcome to visit!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Eliz-- I've enjoyed reading about your trip and adventures-- keep safe and dry! Love,Ellen

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh has it been hot!we have been experiencing 90 to 103 degree weather, and when your house doesn't have air conditioning that can be absolutely miserable. i have been staying up until about 12 every night because only then is it somewhat of a temperature that i will possibly be able to fall asleep in. it is horrible!i hope that it is somewhat cooler where you are, especcially since you are riding your bike A LOT!well i hope that you had a good forth of july and are having oodles of fun.

Sally said...

So sorry to hear about the gypsies. It's sad when they live up to their reputation. Glad you escaped trouble there. Had Jon over for 4th of July bbq with our Kiwi friends. He was his usual charming self. I loved his video of his wall raising at the barn. He seems good. He was hot when he arrived on his motorcycle...that was a particularly hot day. Our friends have now left, so tomorrow I start back riding! Enjoy yourself!