Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday, July 26, 2007


DATE: Thursday July 27, 2007
ROUTE: Edirne, Turkey to Vize, Turkey
DISTANCE: 73 miles
TIME: 7h 35m
CEG: 3740
WEATHER: 89 degrees head/cross winds 30mph steady, 40mph gusts


The heat wave is over for the moment. CNN says that over 500 have died in
Hungary and Romania from the elevated temperatures --- 120 degrees in some
areas. CNN also says that a new wave is coming this weekend. Tomorrow is
our last full day of cycling so at least we will be off the road.

With the decline in temperatures came a vicious wind. Today’s route sent
us east. The wind was from the NNE. So we rode in a cross or head wind
for most of the way. My arms are strained from gripping the handlebars
and struggling to keep on the road. On the flat I pushed to keep above
8mph. Ascending, I wobbled at 3.4mph. Descending, I pedaled hard to top
12mph. To give you an idea of the power of the wind, picture this: On a
short part of a long hill the road turned south. Yea! A tailwind to help
me climb! I COASTED up the hill at 19mph! Yes, really!

Because of the wind, I concentrated on getting to Vize. I have no tales
to tell and very few pictures.

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be the same, the route longer. 90
miles. Oh, well. As Rick says, “It is what it is.”

more pictures

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya bab..you're almost there..18mph uphill? that is a head wind!!!!by the time you get this, it will be behind you but I thought of you & wished you strong and determined legs!!!!!

Sally said...

Congratulations! You'll be there by the time you read this. I was wishing you'd been in Sophia when the medical workers arrived there from Libya after their long imprisonment. Amazing story. And I bet the Bulgarians were ecstatic.
Enjoy Istanbul and the rest of your trip. You're awesome.
Off to Mexico. Hasta luego!

Sally said...

Congratulations! You'll be there by the time you read this. I was wishing you'd been in Sophia when the medical workers arrived there from Libya after their long imprisonment. Amazing story. And I bet the Bulgarians were ecstatic.
Enjoy Istanbul and the rest of your trip. You're awesome.
Off to Mexico. Hasta luego!

Anonymous said...

As Sally said....Congradulations!!
I'm off for a little week long ride. CU when? Not sure, but it will be later. Sorry, you won't be able to follow my ride but it will be something like this: got up early, rode about 65 miles, it's hot (but only in the high 90's), food is good, very scenic. Wish you were here.

Anonymous said...

The Bulgarian countryside reminded me a lot of California. The mosque interiors are extraordinary: what amazing designs. Glad the temperature has declined; sorry about the wind. Your destination is at hand . . .Way to go. Cheers and blessings, Rev Ned

Unknown said...

Elizabeth,
glad to see you and the group have the end in sight. At times I wish I was still with you all, but then I see all of the 100 deg plus days and am not so sure about that. Say Hi to everyone for me. Was that tail wind coast uphill in mph or kph? Also, who is Stefania who you mentioned? Best regards, Doug