Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thursday July 19, 2007


DATE: Thursday July 19, 2007
ROUTE: Montana, Bulgaria to Sofia, Bulgaria
DISTANCE: 82 miles
TIME: 8h 45m
CEG: 5650’
WEATHER: HOT 100s

There are many benefits to being last --- solitude, no pressure to keep up, no group decisions. Today, I left about 10 minutes behind the pack (down to 9 riders due to heat and injuries) and was just starting up the first hill when I met Michele coming down. He was shouting “Bad road, bad road!”. I turned around immediately and for a few moments was at the head of the group. Thus another benefit: letting others test the waters. We diverted to an alternate road and were on our way.

It wasn’t long before I was enjoying the solitude of my own good company on a fresh Bulgarian morning. I was out of the city in just a few miles watching and listening as the rural scene awakened. Michele joined me as sweep and we silently pedaled over the hills. These are the sounds of early morning: roosters crowing, bells on livestock ringing, shepherds and goatherds whistling and crooning to their herds, insects buzzing, wagons groaning and creaking, wooden wheels clattering, dogs barking, and birds singing. As I listen, I concentrate on dodging coffin-sized potholes, swatting insects, finding the right gear, watching the scenery, and looking for places to cool off.

This was a big climbing day through the Balkan Mountains. I don’t mind climbing even though I am excruciatingly slow. I was in my lowest gear traveling at 3.4mph most of a 9 mile ascent. There was little traffic, pretty good road, and amazing views. I do love cycling in the mountains! Michele was very patient with my pace and enjoyed the vistas as mush as I. We both were exuberant after the 2200’ descent. The road surface and the hairpin turns kept my speed under 30mph. The Iskar River and an ice-cold spring awaited us on the valley floor.

We followed the Iskar River gorge through the mountains all the way to Sofia. It was a hilly route up and down the rock walls and, unfortunately, upstream. With about 22 miles left, Monica met us with fresh water and snacks. Michele road to town with Monica to get started on bike work and left me to sweep myself, a job made easier with Michele’s cell phone. Entry into Sofia was taxing with traffic, pollution, and bad roads. Not many of the group cycled the entire route today, and even fewer made it both yesterday and today. A lucky star continues to shine on me --- I’m still healthy and free of injuries.

I ended the day as I started --- in my own good company.

more pictures

1 comment:

CLARK DEXTER said...

I've been fallowing your "grand advencha" with great envy.Happy to see you are Ok. You get-em girl!
Clark