Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday July 23, 2007

 

DATE: Monday July 23, 2007
ROUTE: Plovdiv, Bulgaria to Kardzhali, Bulgaria
DISTANCE: 69 miles
TIME: 6h 10m
CEG: 4200’
WEATHER: HOT HOT HOT 105 degrees

The weather seems to be the headline news worldwide and also here on the tour. The temperature just keeps rising and the hills just keep coming.

The morning was beautiful. I savored the perfect temperature (75 degrees) knowing it would soon be sweltering. The two major climbs through the Balkan Mountains were in the first 35 miles. I stopped at every fountain to douse my head and soak my shirt. This was also a chance to talk (or at least try) with the local villagers or truck drivers who are filling up bottles for their own use.

The last 10 miles, in the heat of the day, had 3 wicked hills --- each successively longer and steeper. At the start of the third hill I made prompt use of a fountain. Even though this hill had a slope of 10%, I was pretty comfortable inching my way up. Overheated cars and trucks were languishing on the shoulder. At the top I was rewarded with a 4 mile downhill which took me to the hotel.

Kathie, Chantal, Jane, and I spent time after dinner decorating Nancy’s helmet. She will celebrate her birthday tomorrow and we want her looking her best.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

No comments: