Saturday, July 7, 2007

Saturday June 7, 2007

 

DATE: Saturday July 7, 2007
ROUTE: Liptovsky Jan to Byele Vody, Slovakia
DISTANCE: 56 miles
TIME: 6h 25m
CEG: 5527’
WEATHER: beautiful

Sun and a tailwind. Sun and a tailwind. I wrote it twice because I didn’t think you’d believe your eyes.

This was to be our biggest climbing day of the tour, and it was. I left early to get a little jump on the group. That way we wouldn’t be so spread out on the route and more difficult for the van and the sweep to support. I loved being at the head of the pack --- even for an hour --- and being the first to see the day unfold.

Two major climbs faced us, plus a “little” ascent the last 3.5 miles up to a ski lodge. The road was smooth and the scenery beautiful. I really love riding in the mountains --- especially on a gorgeous day. The first ascent was long but satisfying. By the time I made the summit, I was in my normal position: last. I do not mind being at the end as long as I am not holding the group back or making extra work for the crew. The second ascent was shorter but more difficult. Maybe the slope was steeper or maybe my energy was flagging. But I knew I would finish in fine shape because there was just that pesky hill at the end. I reassured myself, “anyone can do 3.5 miles”.

Here is a description of the last hill, and my biking friends in Sisters will get a vivid picture: Three Creeks above the snow gate plus a 22% corner ala Barkley Drive plus a one-lane road sprinkled liberally with pot holes, cracks, and gravel. We all had the option to shuttle up in the van. But I was feeling good and didn’t really know what lay ahead. It took me over an hour. I had to stop for a GU moment and a good drink of water. The sound of the wind in the trees and a racing brook kept me company. Monica (sweep that day) overtook me and I told her to surge ahead (like anyone could surge!). In jest I said, “lay out the red carpet --- I’ll be along eventually.” Meanwhile at the top, our romantic ski lodge turned out to be a a bare-bones dormitory. Some of the rooms were lacking the bare necessities. The pictures tell of my arrival. Rick was kind enough to wad up the toilet paper finish line telling me that this was my allotment for our stay.

Thanks to Fritz for sharing his pictures.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suppose all that can be said is Congrads!!!! unbelievable. Love the toliet paper. Guess C and I are going to have to throw Barkley in next time we cycle 3 Creeks. Camp Sh.was absoutely beautiful. Had a difficult time leaving bridge 99. good sandwich at the store.