Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday July 1, 2007

 

DATE: Sunday July 1, 2007
ROUTE: Kazimierz nad Wisla, Poland to Sandomierz, Poland
DISTANCE: 57 miles
TIME: 3h 40m
CEG: 1400’
WEATHER: perfect 70s

Great day! Monica, who has been driving the van for the last two weeks nursing a cold and an infection, finally felt good enough to ride. It was great for Nancy and me to have her ride with us as sweep. And what a glorious day for her to get back on the bike! The sky had high clouds with the sun breaking through every now and then. We were not too hot and we didn’t worry about rain.

The route took us through the “fruit basket” of Poland. We pedaled past apple and cherry orchards, raspberry fields, and plots of hops. Sunday morning in Poland has everyone dressing up and walking, riding, or driving to church. Some churches broadcast their service outside and we would round a corner and hear singing or a sermon.

For the first time our route consisted of rollers and a couple of steep, short hills. It was a lovely Sunday cycle.

The town of Sandomierz was built in Medieval times and many of the original buildings are still in use. It is a charming place to spend the late afternoon and evening.

And, wonder of wonders, my package arrived! Seco picked it up at FexEx in Warsaw after it was finally released from Customs. He had to pay a $40 fee for some inexplicable reason but I’m not complaining. I gladly reimbursed him and now have my sun pants and sun shirt in case we get more days like the last two.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

flowers flowers flowers. It looks like the valley on streoids. Jon relayed the message, both at home & office. Thanks. C&I rode to Bend, had lunch at a lovely cafe (Village Baker) and home. It was a beautiful day. Had my buns not been so sore, I could have ridden all day. Thank heavens for hard seats. Sunday, I got a little too cocky, ran up most of BlackCrater and down, and now am having trouble sitting on the toliet. I love to exercise. Weather is co-operating, sunny with splattering of clouds. Glad to hear that you have had a couple of nice days, you all deserve it. Your pictures of locals riding home from church are my favorite. Just wish more people around here would realize they too could ride with church clothes on.......C&I are off to ride up 3 creeks.....taataa