Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wednesday July 18, 2007

 

DATE: Wednesday July 18, 2007
ROUTE: Vidin, Bulgaria to Montana, Bulgaria
DISTANCE: 96 miles
TIME: 8h 56m
CEG: 4700’
WEATHER: HOT 100s

This is going to be short. I didn’t get to the hotel until 6pm and after showering, laundry, and eating, plus walking down and up 3 flights of stairs three extra times to get the internet code, the air conditioning control, and toilet paper, I’m tired! (oh, my aching knees!)

It was a long one today. Bulgaria is beautiful, hot, and hilly. No one expected such dazzling scenery, debilitating heat, or continuous climbing. Less than half of the group cycled the entire distance due to illness, injuries, or heat.

I started at 7:15am dressed for the desert --- long sleeved white shirt with my washcloth pinned around my neck. I carried lots of water plus an empty coke bottle that I used for wetting the washcloth. There are often communal fountains in the center of villages. I would fill up my bottle several times and completely soak my shirt and head. That’s how I made it.

This part of Bulgaria is very rural and sparsely populated. Much of the work is done by hand. I saw very few cars --- the roads are more often used for herding sheep, cows, and goats. Chickens, donkeys, horses, and dogs are also common sights. The few people I passed were curious but stoic. I had to initiate communication with a smile and a wave before there would be any response.

As often happens in my cycling, I started slowly in the morning, lost energy midday, and finished with strength and enthusiasm. I don’t know from where this “second wind” comes. But it sure comes in handy when it’s 3pm and I still have 30 miles to go!

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're in Bulgaria? The Belogradchik looks just like sourthern Utah & MontanaLake looks like BearLake. Beautiful. We have a century this weekend & I'll know I can do it because you're doing it in 100 degrees. Yikes. That is hard!!! Happy day off.