Monday, July 2, 2007

Monday July 2, 2007

 

DATE: Monday July 2, 2007
ROUTE: Sandomiertz, Poland to Busko Zdroj, Poland
DISTANCE: 65 miles
TIME: 5h 12m
CEG: 1500’
WEATHER: overcast and rain

Sunshine to start, sprinkles at 10 miles, rain at 20, sprinkles at 40, overcast at 50, sunshine at 60. By the time I arrived at the hotel, I was almost dried out --- though both my bike and I were filthy with mud and road grunge. We cycled through more orchards and fields of fruits and vegetables. We passed through more villages today and had more car traffic on the roads. It’s evident that we’re getting closer to Krakow.

The Polish language is unfathomable. It has more letters than the English alphabet and the pronunciation is completely crazy. Too many consonants! I say hello every chance I get --- and I get plenty of opportunities because so many people stop and stare as I cycle past. Here’s the phonetic pronunciation: “gin dobray”. Here’s how it is spelled: “dzien dobry”. The picture of the room instructions means, “Please turn off the lights and close the windows when you leave the room”.

We have very nice accommodations with a balcony for drying our clothes. I wonder what’s for dinner.

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Sue and I just rode up 3-Creeks road. We thought of you and wished you were here suffering along with us.

I just finished reading Madonna's of Leningrad. Part of the book takes place in the Hermitage Museum. I'd love to see it.

Wishing you more sunny skies and smooth sailing.
Carol