Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wednesday July 25, 2007

 

DATE: Wednesday July 25, 2007
ROUTE: Edirne, Turkey
DISTANCE: Rest Day
TIME:
CEG:
WEATHER: mid 100s

Edirne is a very well preserved Ottoman city with impressive mosques, teeming bazaars, and elegant, domestic architecture. It is full of sights and sounds different from any of the twelve countries through which we have cycled.

I was awakened this morning at 4:55am by the reedy incantation of the call to prayer. We gathered in our courtyard at 9:00am for our city tour. Sahli is a wealth of knowledge in history, politics, literature, architecture, and current events. His gentle manner and subtle sense of humor make him a very informative and enjoyable guide. He took us through the bizaar, past the Eski Camii and into the Selimiye Camii. We wound our way through the narrow streets filled with vendors selling fruits, vegetables, and a huge variety of pastries and candy.

Chantal, Jane and I ate lunch at a tiny restaurant where we pointed to the food items we wanted. I had grilled chicken. rice, and garbonzo beans --- all delicious. I spent the afternoon getting caught up on my blog. I now leave for the nearby internet café to post --- at least to try to post. I believe I go past a pastrie shop with a variety of baklava --- my favorite treat. Then it will be time to get organized for our hot, long ride tomorrow. We will be in Istanbul in only 3 days. Hard to believe!

more pictures
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a women....you are so very very close to the end. I'll miss the virtual bike trip but will be happy to ride with you again. Your strength and determination will keep me going on the WBR week. It's hot here but I'll just remind myself of what you've conquered. CUsoon.